Skip to main content

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself... 

For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do. 

(Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) )

My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me. 

I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos. 

Then once I entered the University of Florida in 2015, I kicked off my college career the only way I knew how... with involvement. I was selected as one of 43 Preview Staffers, orientation leaders, for the university through the Dean of Students Office. Through this position
, I helped welcome in over 10,000 freshmen, transfers and family members to the university. I was able to not only extend my love for the Gator Nation to all those family members and students but was able to further develop my communication, inclusivity, leadership and organizational skills.

Following that, I furthered my involvement in the Dean of Students Office by becoming a Campus Diplomat, the official ambassadors to the office. This student-run group is dedicated to being the pathway for students to the plethora of resources the university has to offer and to help make the university as welcoming and inclusive as we can. 

At my halfway mark at UF is where I really started to dive deeper into the College of Journalism and Communications. In the summer of 2017, I wrote and voiced radio stories for UF's on-campus news station, WUFT.  I also learned how to create on-air content and starred on camera for the First at Five newscasts ranging in all topics and durations. 

In the fall of 2017, I got the opportunity to produce video content for WUFT's First at Five newscasts as well as be a radio content producer for NPR's All Things Considered segment. 

Moving forward into the spring of 2018, I became a reporter for WUFT's First at Five newscasts. In this role, I learned how to pitch, film, edit and write stories for my day-turn shift. I also went live on the First at Five newscasts to front the stories I covered on those days. 

In the summer of 2018, I participated in a 28-day study abroad program through UF's College of Journalism and Communications in which I traveled to Italy. There, I learned how to live like an Italian, learned about the Italian culture and took a three-credit class on Ethical Issues in Telecommunications. Once I returned from my trip, I spent the next three months as a WFLA News Channel 8 Intern in Tampa, Florida. While with News Channel 8, I shadowed several reporters and worked alongside the web and social media team. I was even able to produce some of my own content, both on video and web, during my time as an intern. 

And now, during the fall of 2018, I have picked up the role as a First Year Florida Peer Leader, which allows me to teach a one-credit course to first-year students in hopes of providing them with the best information and resources available to help them be as successful as they can during their first fall semester at UF. I also now serve as a Wednesday anchor for WUFT's First at Five newscasts every other week. 

While I'm not perfect and am still learning, I hope to share my stories of the good, bad and ugly with you through this blog! 

If you missed it, in the past couple of weeks I have talked about Personal Branding and Resumesbeing Social, as well as Interviewing Tips

If you have any blog post ideas you'd like me to cover or just have any questions or comments, feel free to reach out to me! I'd love to chat! 

Until next time, I hope you have a great day and Go Gators! 

Comments

  1. You have done so much during your time at UF! Keep up the great work, I know you'll go far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis! I feel terrible that I haven't clicked on your blog more this semester because it's fantastic! I love your bio and all of the advice you give about being a student reporter in this landscape. I feel like this blog would be a perfect showcase for freshman stepping into the J-School with interest in being reporters/members of the media. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme