Skip to main content

Being Social as an Anchor

Today was my second shift as a Wednesday anchor for WUFT News. It went so well and am very proud to say I did not make as many mistakes as I did the first night. While there is always room for improvement, tonight's show was packed with awesome stories and I think all of our reporters did a great job.


Before I went live tonight, I was thinking about things I can start doing to implement in my Wednesday routines aside from just anchoring. And one thing I thought of was to utilize my social media accounts to engage viewers before and after the shows happens.

Tonight I decided to give it a shot by posting a video to my Brand Facebook page to say hello and to remind everyone to tune in at 5 p.m. for the show.

However, there are a few other things I'd like to test out moving forward. Below is a list of things I'd like to implement and plan on adding to my social media accounts during my time as an anchor for WUFT to engage viewers before, during and after our 5 p.m. shows...
  1. Do Facebook lives before the show starts, answer any questions people might have and introduce a few of the stories we will cover in the show.
  2. Use Twitter polls to find out what stories viewers are most interested in learning about before the show.
  3. Post a video to both Facebook and Twitter showing what the process is like to get ready for our show.
  4. Mid-show, go live on Facebook to see how viewers are doing, what they've liked so far about the show and what they're looking forward to the most moving into the second half of the cast. 
  5. After the show, go back on Facebook or Twitter and host a Q&A session to see if any viewers need more clarification or answer any questions they have about a story covered in the newscast. 
Although these are just a few ideas, I want to start making this changes to my anchoring routine just so I can start to engage viewers more and to make them feel like they are a part of the newscast process as much as I am as an anchor. Hearing their feedback and likes/dislikes can really help me grow as a broadcast talent and can help me make their news watching experience more enjoyable. I'll be sure to post my future attempts but in the meantime, if there is anything you'd like to see, please let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

A Special Thank You...

As the semester is coming to a close (my last fall semester I might add *cue tears*), I want to extend a special thank you... to whom you might ask? To the one place on campus that I call my second home and have probably have spent as much time there as I have my own apartment. The College of Journalism and Communications. This building has so much character, has amazing faculty members and has fantastic resources for students to use. Being a journalism student can be difficult. People can be mean, in part to what is currently happening in our world regarding fake news as well as the distrust and hatred directed at news outlets, and trying to balance being a student and a reporter can be trying at times. But, no matter what I can count on the CJC and faculty members to encourage and lift my spirits when times get hard. Of course, my life is primarily spent in the Innovation News Center or newsroom within the CJC building but another great space in the building is the Center for Me