Skip to main content

Personal Branding and Resumes

As I've mentioned in some of my latest posts, I will be graduating soon and have started the interviewing process which means I've needed to give my resume a little TLC within the past month or so. I also uploaded a PDF version of my resume a few weeks back, but I wanted to dive a little bit deeper into resumes and personal branding today.

I have always looked at resumes as a way to not only sell yourself to employers that you are qualified for whatever position you are applying for but also as a way to give employers a small glimpse into your personality and true character. And this is where personal branding and resumes come into play. For my resume specifically, I wanted to make it professional but also personalized. Employers see a lot of resumes when going through the interviewing process so I didn't want mine getting lost in the mix, I wanted it to stand out. So, for my resume, I decided to add a pop of color, pink, and a unique format to help make it stand out. Not only does this show my character as I love the color pink but the unique design helps tell employers I don't like to be like the rest, I want to stand out.

View Alexis Pastore's resume uploaded on her personal site.

After doing this with my resume, I wanted to incorporate it on my personal website I have created. By doing a black and white theme with pops of pink, I have now turned that into my personal brand. I want to be known for the sleek yet unique and fun website and resume. Many people don't think that things like that could add to your personal branding profile but it does. Any little thing that can help employers remember who you are and what work you have done automatically builds and constructs your personal brand.

So, enough about me. My recommendation for you is that when you start or even touch up your resume building process, find ways in which you can cater it to who you are both personally and professionally. What will help make you stand out amongst the rest? Will it be a pop of color like myself or something totally crazy yet streamline in the design? Whatever it is, make it great and make it YOU because that is what employers want to see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I