Skip to main content

Always on the Hunt for an Assignment

My brothers, Dameon and Jacob, myself and boyfriend, Kyle, riding the "Big Slide" at the Florida State Fair. 

The life of a student reporter never really seems to end.

This weekend, I got the opportunity to go home and visit my family in Tampa, Florida. Although I was off from school and work, I found myself having a natural urge to always be on the lookout for a new story or a story idea that I can later follow up with. 

I'm not sure if this "skill" so-to-say is a gift or a curse. Like I said, I was technically off of work and had no school, so I should've been resting and taking downtime for myself but ended up actually working on my time off. 

So, I decided since my family and I were planning on going to the Florida State Fair on Saturday I would do a photojournalism assignment on my two younger brothers' perspective on the fair. My brothers are 5 and 9 years old and view life in such an amazing and pure way. 

Growing up, going to the fair was always a blast for me. Heck, we even got a day off of school and a free ticket to go to the fair. But as I grew older, my interest in the fair has slowly decreased and my natural draw to fair rides and the fun of it all has changed to that of the food sold at the fair (a college student interested in fried, greasy food... what a shocker). 

So my mission this weekend was to capture my brothers and their time at the fair, including their raw, natural and candid expressions throughout the day. I love seeing how excited they get over riding the fair rides and the pure joy of simply winning prizes at the games you can find lined up in the alleyways of the fair. 

Below are a few of the pictures I captured. First is the embedded Instagram post and beneath that are the individual pictures I posted to Instagram. I hope you enjoy them and are able to channel your inner child through my brothers' expressions during their day at the fair.



Our first stop of the day was at the front gates to get our tickets scanned for entry.


Here is my 9-year-old brother Dameon. He just got his ticket scanned and is ready to start his day at the fair. 



Our next stop was the petting zoo. Jacob, my 5-year-old brother, is feeding one of the llamas in the fair's petting zoo. Dameon also decided to get in on the action.


After the petting zoo, we went to Kiddie Alley. One of the attractions my brothers decided to go on was the inflatable hamster ball. Dameon got five minutes to roll around in the ball in a pool of water. 

After the inflatable hamster ball, we decided to walk around a little bit more. We stumbled upon a ride that goes above 50 feet in the air. As you can see, Jacob's reaction was quite fitting for someone his size and age for a ride that big.

To end the day, the boys went on the spinning swings. They were tired but still smiling and having fun.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme