Skip to main content

Please Don't Make Me Think... Literally and Metaphorically

Recently, I finished reading Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug and I was relieved to know that a lot of what I have been taught and told to do through my journalism and telecommunication classes at the University of Florida fall very much in line with what Krug has suggested one should do when it comes to designing a website or software program. At the end of the day, our message in the newsroom is simple and I’m sure Krug would agree, don’t make the viewers think, do the thinking for them.

As someone pursuing news, I have been constantly told to keep news features and packages short and sweet, to include enough information to make a story complete but don’t include too much where it’ll overwhelm someone, plus to make everything as streamline as possible. Of course, this all sounds so confusing and contradictory at first, but I think Krug did a great job overall of explaining how one can manage to accomplish all those tasks without overcomplicating the process through his book.

Some of the key points mentioned throughout Krug’s book that I feel helps make a good website and my reasoning why include…
  1. Creating an effective visual hierarchy: 
    • The reason why I think this helps make a good website is because everyone loves pictures, websites, books or videos that are aesthetically pleasing. Our eyes are drawn to images that just look and seem right. The more prominent objects in the picture will stand out and so should the more prominent items on your website. By breaking things down in an effective and simple manner, viewer’s eyes will be more attracted to your site which is what you want. You want a site to be visually appealing and pleasing to one’s eye and is something that can be easily accomplished through visual hierarchy.
  2. Making things more accessible benefits everyone in the situation: 
    • Krug mentioned this in chapter 12 and I instantly felt like this point is something I have always connected with. When it came time to designing my own personal site, I wanted to make sure my layout was easy to understand and follow, one for my own personal sake as I have too many things going on in my life, but also for those who will visit my site. By making everything on your website accessible, it leaves nothing hidden or in the dark where viewers would have to search long and hard to find it. It just makes everyone’s life easier and causes less stress when trying to find a piece of information on a website.
  3. Omit needless words: 
    • I cannot stress how important this is enough. As someone who writes scripts for a newscast and is given limited time to get across a certain message or tell a certain story, I have learned how to omit needless words. Although I am not perfect at it and am still a work in progress, I have learned the true importance of why one should use words that are only necessary to a sentence. Using needless words can just complicate everything and can leave a viewer confused and even further from their result than when they initially started.
  4. Finally, simplicity: 
    • Each of the points above have touched on this in some way or fashion, but when it comes down to working with viewers either through a website or through a newscast, keeping things simple helps you and the viewer out tremendously. Why try and complicate a situation that shouldn’t be? It takes more work for you and it makes it harder for viewers to process which in turn could act as a turn off to viewers. Don’t lose viewers on a site because things are too complicated for them to understand, that would be ridiculous. Make your life and their life easier by sticking to the simple route.

Sure, things are never perfect, but with the tips I gained through my classes as well as through Krug, I can make sure my viewers will understand my website and stories that much better. And moving forward I will consciously think of how I can do and be better when writing or creating something for an audience because after it all, I don't want to make them think. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme