Skip to main content

News Reels, Job Interviews, Adulting Oh My!

UF's College of Journalism and Communications hosts a Career Day for students every semester in hopes of connecting students to industry professionals across the state of Florida. As someone who is in the telecommunication field, it is very hard to find an employer at a regular job event across campus so each year I have attended the CJC's Career Day in hopes of expanding my network as well as possibly gaining an internship or job. This semester, our Career Day will take place on October 17, which is only a week away.

In order to prepare for the event, I have updated my resume, created numerous cover letters to hand out and also updated my newsreel. Plus, I have requested to interview with three employers who are all hiring for positions in their newsrooms. Of the 70+ employers listed, I applied with WJXT (news station in Jacksonville), WMBB (news station in Panama City) and WFLA (news station in Tampa). Although I'm not sure yet if they will accept my request and schedule an interview with me, I am extremely excited to begin the process of "adulting" so-to-say. With only eight months left until graduation, I really need to start getting my ducks in a row in order to apply for and to get a job before I graduate.

Below is a screenshot of my resume I submitted for the Career Day.
As I mentioned above, I also had to update my reel by adding in some newer content and taking out some clips I felt weren't as good anymore. Below is my most current and updated reel.



While neither is perfect, I hope they show employers my skills, personality and overall knowledge I have gained about the broadcast industry. And although I have some time before I have to start adulting and experience life after college, I think next week will help show me what I will have to look forward to as graduation nears. Hopefully, all three will accept my interview and if they do (or at least one of them), stay tuned for an update as to how they went. But until then, let me know what you think about my resume and reel. I'd love to hear your feedback or constructive criticism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme