Skip to main content

Interviewing Tips

As I've mentioned in my recent blog posts, I was getting ready for a few interviews with a couple of news stations. They all went pretty well and although nothing really came from those interviews in terms of a job or internship, they've allowed me to gain more experience talking with employers and have allowed me to understand the interviewing process more than before.

However, I didn't just go into those interviews blindly. I did my research and looked up a few tips to help get me through the process. So, today I thought I'd share some of those tips in case you might be preparing for an interview of your own pretty soon.

The first step is preparing for the interview and the possible interview questions that might get thrown your way. Below are a few things Experis suggests you should go over before your interview.

  1. Research the company and person you are interviewing for
    • Sure this may sound pretty basic and common sense but a lot of people get so caught up in the interview itself that they forgot to even do some background checks on the company they want to work for. Find the basic information: who is the boss, what does the company stand for, what is some of their most recent work.
  2. Anticipate the interviewer's concerns and reservations 
    • Although everyone is great and has their own personal strengths, we also have weaknesses. Identify your weaknesses with the employer, be clear with them but also find ways to express how you can improve upon your weaknesses in the new role you are applying for. Remember, we're all humans and make mistakes sometimes. 
  3. Think positive 
    • Again, this might also sound like common sense, but don't let the interview get the best of you. Employers can tell if you are nervous during an interview and can honestly hurt you in the end. Enjoy your time in the interview and use it as a learning opportunity, not something you should be afraid of. 

Then once you get to the interview there are a few things you should do there. Before you completely finish and go, you should ALWAYS ask the interviewer questions. Below are some questions to ask employers during an interview as recommended by GlassDoor.

  1. What are the company's values? What characteristics do you look for in employees in order to represent those values? 
    • Hopefully, you find a company that has values that very much align with your values. If not, you might find yourself in situations where your moral compass is telling you to do one thing and your employer is telling you to do another. 
  2. What's your favorite part about working for the company? 
    • You want to work for a company that is not only awesome but also treats their employees great too. 
  3. Are there opportunities for professional development? If so, what do they look like?
    • Getting a job is great and all, but we always want to be pushing ourselves for the next step and hopefully, your potential new job allows you and encourages you to do so. 
Hopefully, all of this information is helpful because it sure did help me this week with my interviews. Let me know if you're going through the job hunting and interviewing process and I'd love to send positive thoughts your way!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme