Skip to main content

Anchor Life with a Splash of Investigative Reporting

As I mentioned in one of my more recent posts, I have officially taken a break from being a weekly reporter for WUFT News at the University of Florida. Although I am in my senior year and need as many stories I can get for my reel, I just needed a break (mentally) and just couldn't fit it into my hectic schedule. So instead, I am filling my time by being an anchor every other Wednesday for WUFT as well as taking an investigative reporting class.

Sure, my investigative reporting class is something I need to take before I graduate as dictated by my degree audit, but it is also a class I have been wanting to take because it is an area of news I want to improve upon before entering the workforce.

My investigative reporting class meets every Monday night and discusses topics like how to develop or even find an investigative story idea, how to nail interviews, how to piece together an investigative story once everything is shot as well as what it takes to get the information needed to make an investigative story complete and comprehensive. Throughout the class, I must turn in two complete investigative stories that could be on any topic but is under 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

For my first project, I am working with one of my friends, Samantha Serbin, and we are looking at the number of sexual predators within a five-mile radius from UF's main campus. What surprised us the most and are the reasons why we went with this topic is the fact that 1) sexual predators/offenders do not have a residence restriction around a university or college like they do for K-12 schools, 2) there are 345 sexual predators and offenders that live within a five-mile radius of UF and 3) some of those listed use university addresses as their address of residency, with some using the same address as others.

Here is a map of Gainesville showing the number of sexual predators and offenders registered within a five-mile radius from the University of Florida. 
This not only is surprising but is also concerning. Why are sexual predators and offenders allowed to use the same address as another and on top of that why are they allowed to use a university address for their residency?

Within the next couple weeks Samantha and I will be figuring out the answer to those questions, so be sure to stay tuned as I will be posting an update soon. Until then, get ready because on Wednesday I'll be back for my second time at the WUFT anchor desk for another exciting night filled with news.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme