Skip to main content

Meet Some of My Friends

When you walk into the newsroom on UF's campus, it'll be one hectic place but the people inside are one big family. We all work alongside each other for at least four years, build close bonds, act as a source of support and always strive to help each other out when times get tough.

Of those in the newsroom that I am close friends with, I have been able to track down a few of their blogs. What I love the most about working with some of these amazing people is that we all have different interests, strengths and weaknesses. We all are different but come together and mesh to produce some of the most tremendous work you can find.



One of the blog sites I was able to find is for one of my close sports fanatic fan, Courtney Mims.

Courtney has done some AMAZING work during her time at UF both in news and in sports. She has such a great and heart-warming background story as to how she fell into the career path she is now on. She has covered many of the Gator sports teams on campus, such as the men's basketball team and the football team. Courtney will be graduating from UF in December, which is so sad because she's such a fun and helpful person to work with.



Another amazing human-being and music lover (and my former news shift partner in the newsroom) whose blog I've found is Justin Ahlum.

During his time at UF, Justin has had the chance to work for the Florida Alligator (UF's independent student newspaper) as a beat writer and sports reporter. He has also done play-by-play commentary for Union County Radio as well as for several sporting events with UF sports. Asides from being a sports anchor this semester, Justin is also keeping a blog on all things music and reviews of the latest albums and songs being released.


Finally, one of the other fabulous people I get to see each week is Veronika Vernachio.

Not only is she my co-anchor on Wednesday's but she is also an outstanding reporter and journalist. She has had the opportunity to intern with WPBF in West Palm Beach and WKMG in Orlando. In addition to that, she has worked as both a reporter and anchor for WUFT news. She finds the most interesting stories and always does them full-heartedly. Just like Courtney, Veronika will be leaving UF in December and don't know what I'm going to do without her next to me at the desk next semester.

Stay tuned for my next post where I'll introduce three more amazing people I get to share UF's Innovative News Center with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme