Skip to main content

How to Balance Getting Work Done But Also Doing Absolutely Nothing

I know I have talked about this before a while back on my blog, however, recently I have felt the urge to do LITERALLY NOTHING. I don’t know if it’s because I’m starting the whole “senioritis” phase in school (*cough cough 197 days left until I graduate*) or if it’s because I have been running around campus all week trying to finish my investigative project, do interviews, teach my class and doing homework. Let’s be real, it’s probably just a combination of all of the above.

However, what do you do when you have so much left to complete but have NO desire to do anything? Right now I’m stuck in this dilemma. I have meetings tomorrow on campus, I have a LARGE paper due tomorrow for an online class but all I want to do is just hang out on the couch, watch TV and be lazy.

I have found a great article from Psychology Today about how to overcome your lack of desire and tips on how to change your frame of mind in these situations.

In the article, Heidi Grant Halvorson explains how often times when we get into that rut of just being a couch potato or resisting the desire to complete any tasks, it can stem from three reasons. The first being that we put off completing or doing something because we don’t want to fail or mess it up. Often times I feel this way when I am trying to write or complete a story when I go out and report. Sometimes it is really hard to get sources as a student and often times it can hurt the story I am trying to tell. In those cases, I don’t want to let my news directors down plus I don’t want to negatively impact the people a part of my story because it is not fully complete so then I almost shut down at points because I don’t know where to go or what to do next. I get stuck in that awkward phase of wanting to just finish the darn thing already and just wanting to go home.

The second reason is we often times put things off because you just simply don’t feel like doing it. I can heavily relate to this right now with my paper. I would rather be doing a thousand other things than write this paper but because it is worth a lot of points and is due tomorrow, I am forcing myself to write it. Unfortunately in times like this, I might take even longer than I would if I actually had the motivation to write a paper.

The third reason is we might put things off because of its level of difficulty, lack of excitement or is just unpleasant to do. I think everyone can agree and relate to the fact that we have all felt this at least once in our life. Sometimes you just don’t want to do anything and that’s okay. It’s definitely taken me a while to understand that it’s okay to feel this way but always remember its good to get up and get some stuff done every now and then too.

If you’d like to read more from Dr. Halvorson on this topic, I’d highly recommend checking out the article as it does go more in depth than I have explained above.

Alright... I think it’s time I go get that paper done :(

Until next time, have a great weekend and get ready for another Wednesday newscast this upcoming week!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme