Skip to main content

Reporter Turned Anchor





So, a major life update. This semester I will be taking off my reporting hat and have replaced it with an anchor's one. Yes, my blog is all about my time as a student and a reporter, however, I couldn't turn down the opportunity to become a night-time anchor for UF's on-campus news station, WUFT News. Unfortunately, this semester I just couldn't fit time to report on a weekly basis but instead, decided to dedicate my time crafting my talents as an anchor.

What does this mean? Well, I will be rotating every other Wednesday as a co-anchor for our 5 p.m. newscast. WUFT mainly broadcasts to the 11 counties surrounding Alachua County or people can watch the show via a live stream link on the WUFT site.

My first time stepping into this new role was tonight and it couldn't have gone any better. Sure there were a few bumps along the way and a few stumbles but that's part of the business. It seemed like within a blink of an eye, our 30-minute newscast was over. Plus it helped that I got to be next to some of my greatest friends during the show!

Below are a few pictures that I took before and after the show.

Just finished getting ready and waiting for the show to start. 

My co-anchor Brooke and I after we just finished the newscast.
Although I have a week off, I can't wait to be back at the anchor desk again on September 26. If you would like to watch the newscast, here is the link to the live stream. One show down and many more to go. But until then, your Florida news is always on at wuft.org. Have a good night!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

A Special Thank You...

As the semester is coming to a close (my last fall semester I might add *cue tears*), I want to extend a special thank you... to whom you might ask? To the one place on campus that I call my second home and have probably have spent as much time there as I have my own apartment. The College of Journalism and Communications. This building has so much character, has amazing faculty members and has fantastic resources for students to use. Being a journalism student can be difficult. People can be mean, in part to what is currently happening in our world regarding fake news as well as the distrust and hatred directed at news outlets, and trying to balance being a student and a reporter can be trying at times. But, no matter what I can count on the CJC and faculty members to encourage and lift my spirits when times get hard. Of course, my life is primarily spent in the Innovation News Center or newsroom within the CJC building but another great space in the building is the Center for Me