Skip to main content

What To Do When Being A "Student" Gets Brought Up



I'm sure by now you can tell I have a lot of dedication and passion for being a student reporter. However, it's not always glitter and rainbows when working in this field as a student.

As your time in school progresses, the stories you cover must also progress meaning your stories become more difficult as time goes on. But one of the difficulties I have been running into this semester, more specifically, is that with the harder story topics I choose, the less sources want to talk to me because I am a student.

While I understand the hesitations many may have when talking to a student about a serious issue or topic, it becomes frustrating to constantly feel like I have to prove myself and my knowledge to allow people to feel comfortable opening up to me. This issue typically happens with a lot of government officials, due to the secrecy of the work their job entails, but has begun its decent to the regular, everyday citizens of Gainesville and Alachua County.

For example, I covered a story towards the beginning of the semester on the flu and how dangerous it can be for children under the age of nine. While I was able to get an interview with a pediatric doctor through UF Health, just getting a parent or daycare owner to talk was difficult. They expressed how they would be willing to speak to me about the topic but the thought of going on camera was something they were not interested in. After that I tried getting other sources in the medical field to talk about the harm the flu can cause to a young child's body, but consistently got denied due to the fact that it is a "complicated issue."

Although this is just one example, it has happened a handful of other times. I always try and express that I wouldn't skew the information they give me and tell my sources that I am trying to make my story as holistic as I can by giving all sides a chance to speak on the issue. But, rarely does that ever convince someone to actually talk to me.

Below are a few tips I have gained and came to realize over the past two months to get me through the situation of being questioned about my authenticity of being a "student reporter."

  1. Stay confident. If you show the individuals you are reaching out to that you are confident and proficient in the topic of discussion, they will feel a little bit more comfortable opening up to you. However, the moment you show your hesitation or nerves, they will immediately put up a wall and will give vague answers.
  2. Trust your knowledge, but don't be ignorant. While being confident in yourself and your knowledge is good and something you need to do, don't act like you know everything when talking to a source. Chances are they probably know a lot more on the topic of your story, otherwise why go to them for help? Show them you have a good background of information on your selected topic, but use your interview as a chance to grow and learn. 
  3. Be as honest and transparent as you possibly can be. Let your sources know as much information as you can share and be clear with them the angle of your story. The more open and honest you are, the more willing they will be to share information to you and the more willing they will be to work with you in the future. All of which is something you desperately need as a student journalist. 
  4. Finally, accept the fact that sometimes people will just not trust you. While you can easily persuade some people to talk to you for your story, there will be those few individuals who will without a doubt deny you and even question your ability as a reporter. It will happen but I promise there is always someone else out there that will answer your questions... you just have to find them. 

While these tips are helpful, they don't always work. But, just like with anything else, try and see if you can find other ways or tricks to get people to open up to you. Being a student and a reporter is both an art and a science. It takes time to master but once you get the ball rolling, great things will come your way. Just show other people you have what it takes and they will begin to build that trust with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internship Hunt

As this semester is coming to a close that means it is time to get things ready for the summer. As I mentioned, I will be studying abroad in Italy for the month of May. But once I get back to the states, I am hoping to have an internship lined up. While this semester has been tough enough as is being both a student and student reporter, trying to find and apply for an internship has been quite the process. I have been trying to keep my options open but I have found it difficult to find something that will fit with my schedule and my personal desire. I have applied to stations both in Gainesville as well as my hometown of Tampa, Florida. At least a handful of resumes have been sent out, cover letters have been drafted, applications have been filled out and yet I still find myself in a place of uncertainty. Through this process, I, unfortunately, have had many more negative moments than positive. The biggest negative so far is that no one has gotten back to me yet. I am less than t

Let Me Introduce Myself...

I'm going to take a second and break from our tradition programming (aka blog posts) to take a step back and properly introduce myself...  For those that are just now tagging along to read my blog posts, I would like to say hi! I know I did a brief introduction a few months ago but I would like to give a more in-depth bio about myself that I never got the chance to do.  (Don't worry, I'm wearing shorts :) ) My name is Alexis Pastore. I am a 21-year-old fourth-year telecommunication major with a specialization in news and a concentration in sports management at the University of Florida. I was born and raised in Tampa, Florida, and grew up with a passion for sports, sharing stories and helping those around me.  I first found my love for broadcast journalism and news when I joined my high school's TV production program. There, I learned how to film, edit and write for newscasts, feature stories, public service announcements and music videos.  Then once I

Social Media and You

Social media is growing more than ever and is rapidly gaining a portion of our attention every day. But, how is social media impacting the work you do and not just your personal life? I have come to notice that now, especially, the news industry wouldn't be where it is today without social media. Social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook and Instagram allow reporters, photographers and journalists to push out information to their audience in a moments notice. And because of that, people are demanding more and want things now, not at 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. when the newscast actually happens. A month or two ago I talked about getting social as an anchor for WUFT and mentioned a few ideas I had to build upon my viewership and to engage the viewers and followers I currently have. But I feel like there is so much more I can do, but how? What is considered interesting to a viewer? Are there things that will gain more attention? If so, do those posts or stories have an underlying theme